Sunday 2 October 2011

A place not to visit!

So after a lovely visa run to sunny England i made it back to Moscow.  On my flight back to the UK i sat next to a 50 odd something English guy who despite not looking keen on talking to me found the best course of action was acceptance. So i inundated him with questions about why he had been in Russia and if the place he had been was worth visiting ( a resounding NO!) Turns out he was a scientist working with the Americans measuring radioactivity levels and cancer rates in a place called Mayak near the Ural mountains.  He told me in the 50's they built a nuclear power station in about half the time it should take and due to cutting corners managed to contaminate the whole place.  Following a number of nuclear accidents the place is now classed as one of the most contaminated in the world.  So feeling a bit Erin Brockivichy I did some research and it made fascinating yet depressing reading http://thescreamonline.com/strange/strange08-01/chelyabinsk40.html.
Anyway i have halted my Brockivichy feelings at just reading as not to mention not having the cleavage i think the Russians are not too keen on snoopers!
MAYAK

I got back to Moscow airport last  night this time flying BA rather than Aeroflop.  Can't say it was much better.. in fact Aeroflot food was was nicer.  The Curry gods would be weeping if they had sampled BA's version of a chicken korma!  Still we did have an awfully polite northern pilot who welcomed us all on board about 15 times gushing at how he was here to serve us.. bless.  And everyone clapped when we landed again.  I have perfected cutting out all thoughts of crash landings as we land!
Erlan picked me up again in his amazing ancient Lada.. i was even more amazed when he went to open it and i realised it had central locking..surely not an original feature.  Again he drove us at alarming speeds towards Moscow with manouveres which would probably be found in training videos for what not to do on motorways!  I was even more happy when he explained to me in broken English that 'Miss Jenny told me drive Miss Rebecca fast fast so she can come to bar!'  Miss Jenny is not in my good books!
Slept of my jet lag till 1 pm..ahh nice.. went for a walk to find a new supermarket.. got lost..but was nice to look around.  Returned to familiar supermarket where on lining up to pay noticed a frail old woman behind me with one item.  Being the respectable member of society i am i gestured for her to go before me. Well frail my arse!!.. she lost the plot and started shouting at me in Russian complete with angry arm gesticulations and evil looks.  As i had no idea what she was saying i just smiled!  Not sure they have Help the Aged over here! Won't be doing that again!


Right bedtime..ready for the little angels tomorrow and a bit more smetana..i have been having withdrawal symptons!


Oooh and it's getting bloody chilly now!!!




1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to seeing how you cope with the proper cold!! XX

    ReplyDelete